There are two main classifications for powder coatings:
- Thermoplastic powder coating melts and flows when heat is applied but continues to have the same chemical composition once it cools to a solid coating.
- Thermoset powder coatings melt when exposed to heat, however, after the flow to form a continuous film, they chemically crosslink on additional heating. The final coating has a different chemical structure than the applied powder.
Powder coatings can be formulated to withstand higher temperatures, elevated salt spray, UV fade and chemical resistance.
- Computerized color matching
- Robotic and/or manual spray application
- Thickness and color monitoring